Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kale Chips


I think we all have cravings for crunchy things and sometimes celery doesn't satiate that craving.  I've been known to gorge myself on potato chips, but I'd prefer to avoid anything fried and super oily.  I think I've mentioned before that Kale has been my very favorite veggie of 2009.  I love buying bunches and bunches of it for my smoothies or to cook it down with some garlic, thai chile paste, lime, and sesame oil.  So, when I had a craving for a crunchy snack- my fridge was already stocked with the perfect ingredient.  
Kale chips have become very popular in the raw foods community.  Traditionally kale chips are made in a dehydrator with nutritional yeast and/or cashews.  If you don't own a dehydrator, there's always an option to purchase kale chips at your local health food store, but that's not always cost effective.  I don't have a dehydrator, and I don't have a ton of cash to shell out for a tiny bag of raw kale chips... so I looked to my oven.  And, although I appreciate the raw kale chips, my baked ones satisfy my cravings until Santa brings my Excalibur dehydrator this year. 
Kale chips can be as simple as a little olive oil and sea salt- this recipe calls for a sprinkle of nutritional yeast after coming out of the oven.  Sometimes I add cayenne pepper, lemon juice, braggs liquid aminos, liquid smoke, or agave nectar to the chips before baking.   Just make sure you rinse and de-stem the kale and tear into pieces- toss and shake with the oil, salt, or whatever else you'd like, and place on a cookie sheet.  

Oven Baked Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp of olive oil
1 tbsp nutritional yeast

Bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes until kale is bright green and crispy.  Space evenly on cookie sheet before baking to allow the kale to crisp up.  Remove from oven and lightly coat with nutritional yeast and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment