Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First Post- Roasted Red Pepper and Jalapeno Hummus


Hi, I'm Aura!  Welcome to my kitchen :)
Veganism has made such a positive impact on my life that I want to share my recipes and what I actually eat with others.  Being vegan means I do not consume any animal products including dairy and eggs.  Also, for health reasons- and just because I like to include as many veggies as possible into my diet I cook mostly gluten-free and soy-free.  All of the recipes I post will be vegan and if not already GF & SF- will be easily changed to accommodate anyone with allergies or anyone avoiding gluten or soy.  I'm not just vegan because I care about animals- I also am vegan for my health and the environment- so I choose organic when possible- and choose local produce in season from various farmers markets around the city.

My first recipe I want to share is a simple hummus recipe with a kick- that does not require you head out to find a jar of tahini.

Roasted Red Pepper and Jalapeno Hummus


1 red roasting pepper
1-3 jalapenos
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 cups cooked (or 1 can rinsed and drained) of chickpeas
1/2 lime- juiced
1 tsp cumin
salt to taste
optional- cilantro

Preheat oven to 450 and cut and seed the roasting pepper, cut off the tops of the jalapenos (seed them if you don't like spice), and peel the garlic.  Lightly coat in olive oil and bake until the skin of the pepper is slightly charred.  
In the food processor with the S blade- grind the sesame seeds until a paste forms, then add the chickpeas, lime juice, cumin, and salt.  When the peppers and garlic are cool enough to touch- peel off the charred skin of the peppers and add to the processor.  Pulse in cilantro if you'd like.

Serve with any crudites or chips.  



No comments:

Post a Comment