Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dolphin-Free Tuna!

My mom was kind of confused when I asked her the other day how she used to make tuna when I was a kid.  I didn't really like tuna when I did eat meat, and when I read on a can "Dolphin Free" probably in 2nd or 3rd grade, my tuna adventures were over once I learned that sometimes when they're out looking for tuna- dolphins accidentally get caught.  So, when creating this mock tuna I used my mom's spoken word recipe and what I can remember from eating tuna in early grade school.

Mom was probably confused for a number of reasons when I asked her about the canned tuna "salad" she used to create.  First, I don't eat animals and second I don't like mock meats (and she may have been confused because I asked for a recipe from her and she's not blessed in the kitchen).  While its true that I don't care for mock meats, this is different that tofu crusted wheat gluten with seasoning.  This is simple food, good food that would be great without coming up with a cute name for it and a cute way to prepare it.  But cuteness is fun, right?


The mock tuna starts with a base of raw soaked nuts or seeds.  I used a 1/3 cup of each walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds, but all of one of the above would be okay.  To get a pink-ish color I added in one cup of carrots and processed with celery seeds, lemon juice, and dulse in the food processor.  I stirred in the nut pate with chopped celery and coated with a mayo made of cashews, but smashed avocado or your favorite vegan mayo would work great to get a tuna salad consistency.  Stuff in romaine leaves or roll in cucumber slices.  The dulse (a seaweed) adds a salty seafood flavor that also gives the tuna salad a nutrient burst.  This isn't like Star Kist, but you can eat this at your desk without your friends commenting on how awful your lunch smells.  Oh!  And its dolphin free :)




My new website is up and running:
I'll cross-post a few more entries, but soon everything will be over on that .com :)




2 comments:

  1. that sounds really, really yummy. i've been eating a lot of nut pates recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so tasty looking, much better than real tuna. Love the presentation!

    ReplyDelete